About the site
This is a joint effort by the Torun and Bydgoszcz State Archives that was launched in June 2015. The site features scans from 450 registry offices, mostly in the Kuyavian-Pomeranian area. You can filter the site by things like village, date, Voivodeship, type of act (birth, marriage, death) etc… Online users also have the option to index records as they come across them.
Available as of December 2020
– 3.5 million scans from the years 1808-1900
– 43,300 books (as early as 1837)
– They have records mostly from Kuyavian-Pomeranian (Kujawsko-Pomorskie)
– They also have some from Pomeranian (Pomorskie), Warmian-Masurian (Warmińsko-Mazurskie) and Greater Poland (Wielkopolskie)
Navigating the site
1. After going to the website, you will want to click the flag in the top right so that the site will be in English.
2. You will see 3 search boxes. In the center box, choose UNITS, then type the place name in the box on the right “town/city.”
3. For the purpose of this tutorial we will search MOGILNO, so once we type it in and hit search, this is what our search results will look like. On the left of the page you will see options to filter on the right you will see all the collections of scans that area available.
4. So what are we looking at on the search results page? On the left of the page you will see filters, one of them being CATEGORY
1) You will see that we have 3 choices [in English they are Births (urodzeń), Marriages (małżeństw) and Deaths (zgonów)].
3) In ( ) you will see how many records are in this selection.
5. Understanding the right side of the page, you will see all these boxes, the information inside them will tell you about the collection, like what archive it’s from, what year it is, what it is (birth marriage death) etc..
1) You will see a set of numbers, this is the collection/record set (it will differ from box to box)
2) This number tells you how many images are in this record set
3) You can see further information like the town name, community and the archive this record set comes from
4) You can see what type of records these are, in this case we see that this record set would be for deaths (Akta zgonów).
5) We can see that this set is from the year 1908.
6) We can see that 11 of the records in this set has been indexed.
6. Working our way across the page from left to right….
1) If you click on this + sign, it will open a menu to navigate to the different pages (we will go over this next).
2) In the middle of the page you will see the record, pressing the + sign (in the white box) will open the feature to zoom.
3) These icons will show information in the frame to the right of the icons. Top Icon – This icon will show the basic information about the collection, what it is, where it’s from etc.. Paper looking Icon – This icon will show the indexed information, I believe the blue number 1 indicates 1 contributor. Bottom Icon – This will let you download a copy of the record.
7. Back to the navigation menu on the left of the page, when you click the + sign to expand it, you will get one of 2 views.
1) You can toggle between the image view and the list view.
2) You again can see that image 16 is indexed, as it has the little icon. Compare it to image 18, which has nothing indexed.
– You will see in step 2 that there is an advanced search feature, but it only works for those records that are indexed. Because this site is so new, not much has been indexed, but give it some time and this feature will really become useful. This is what it looks like